05 Feb Choose 180
Restore instead of punish
Youth are possibilities to be developed and not problems to be solved
Mission: CHOOSE 180 transforms the lives of youth and young adults by partnering with institutional leaders, connecting them with community, empowering them with choice, and teaching them the skills necessary to avoid engagement with the criminal legal system.
Vision: CHOOSE 180 envisions a future where youthful behavior is decriminalized and young people are offered restorative practices in lieu of traditional prosecution.
CHOOSE 180 empowers young people at risk of engagement with the criminal legal system to choose positive change in their own life. Partnering strategically with community as well as institutional leaders like prosecutors and school administration, CHOOSE 180 acts as a catalyst for institutional change on complex social issues such as the school-to-prison-pipeline and the punitive legal system.
CHOOSE 180 executes its mission in two ways:
1. By supporting youth and families in critical moments;
2. By advocating for system change. Learn about CHOOSE 180 programs here
CHOOSE 180’s programs have been incredibly successful at rerouting youth away from the criminal legal system. In 2020, they were able to ensure
- 293 cases dismissed
- 111 youth and their families received court navigation support
- 100% of participants have access to aftercare
- 87% of workshop participants have not reoffended
- Program participants who remain in school are 86% more likely to graduate
Ways to Support the Work
- Make your voice heard this legislative season and advocate for bills that will affect youth who face the legal system.
- Learn about Restorative Community Pathways a move towards ending youth incarceration. Check out the Seahawks short documentary on RCP.
- Host a Happy Hour virtually with our team! This is a great way to learn, connect, and grow as an advocate for change. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- And if you’re able, please consider donating monthly to their mission to ensure that young people continue being diverted from the criminal punishment system. Donate here.
- Follow CHOOSE 180 on social media for calls to action: Facebook, Instagram